Feature-rich and ultra-local, Woodbury Magazine brings you interesting and compelling stories about the best in our community. Highlighting local residents who give back in a variety of ways, outstanding youth, the city’s fine businesses/nonprofits and upcoming events, this monthly publication has something for everyone. Our coverage offers the latest on the Woodbury wellness, education, homes and arts scenes as well as the city’s awesome parks and trails, great restaurants and super shops. The goal is simple: to keep you in-the-know about Woodbury.
Write for Us
Have an article idea for our magazines? You’re not alone; many of our best ideas come from our readers, business owners and the public. Here are some tips for the best pitch approach:
- Read the magazine you’re pitching for to understand the scope and tone of the publication. All of our magazines are hyper-local focused, but each community has its own personality.
- If there isn’t a specific city connection with local sources, it’s unlikely the story is the right fit for our magazines.
- Ideas should be submitted via email to the editor in charge of the publication. You can find our editors on our About page.
Who writes the magazines? Along with our editors, the magazines are primarily written by staff writers. We strive to hire local writers only because they have the best understanding of the communities and their vernaculars.
- Send your email of interest to Renée Stewart-Hester, managing creative director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include a brief description of your writing experience and a reason for your interest in our publications.
- In your email, provide three of your best magazine-style writing clips.
How will I know if you’re interested in accepting my pitch, learning more about my writing skills or connecting about an internship? We do our best to respond in a timely manner to all requests and inquiries. Please note that it might take months before we are able to run with an article idea (We work several months in advance for production purposes.) or have an opening for a staff writer or intern. We always welcome follow-up emails if you’d like a status update.
Have you ever wanted to explore magazine writing and editing? Get started with an editorial internship at a vibrant publishing group. Here at Local, we publish eight community lifestyle magazines based in the Twin Cities, including Edina Magazine, Lake Minnetonka Magazine, Woodbury Magazine and more. We accept applications on a year-round basis.
- Work remotely 12 to 15 hours per week (must be based near Minneapolis/St. Paul).
- Write brief front-of-book and back-of-book stories (and see your byline published!), with the opportunity to write longer features and profiles as your internship goes on.
- Fact-check several stories each month.
- Write monthly local and area calendar entries.
- Receive and incorporate feedback on your writing assignments and fact-checks.
- Attend occasional art or editorial meetings (as logistics line up).
- Attend occasional photoshoots (as logistics line up).
- Basic journalism knowledge including style, tone and format of articles, and best practices for interviewing and fact-checking.
- A good comfort level with making phone calls, speaking on the phone and following up with sources for fact-checks and interviews.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- The ability to manage your time and tasks: working on multiple assignments at a time, prioritizing your tasks and juggling different types of assignments at once.
- The ability to work independently and ask questions when you need help.
- A commitment to meeting all deadlines.
- The ability to write clear and engaging stories.
If you’re interested, please send your resume and cover letter to Hailey Almsted, managing editor, at email@example.com.
MANAGING CREATIVE DIRECTOR
CITIES SOUTH EDITOR
LAKE MINNETONKA EDITOR
MAPLE GROVE EDITOR
ST. CROIX VALLEY EDITOR
SENIOR MANAGING ART DIRECTOR